Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Fifth Narrative Assignment

Informative, inspiring, and motivational; these words are often used to describe the ideal teacher, but teachers can come in many different forms. Just as Siddhartha learned from an unorthodox educator, the river, my greatest teachers are somewhat unusual as well: books.

Ever since I was a child, I have loved reading. Back then, books such as “Everyone Poops” by Taro Gomi taught me practical life lessons while others spoke to me about ethics and morals. Today, they share with me their wisdom, and tell me their secrets. Within the pages of every book I open, I find another world. I can escape to this alternate reality any time I like. With books, I can scale the highest mountains, solve impossible mysteries, and uncover the past of ancient civilizations, all in a day. But books act as so much more than entertainment for me. Every time I read a book, I take bits and pieces from the characters and they become a part of me. I relate to them and learn from the challenges they overcome.

One book in particular has acted as a great teacher to me, and has helped guide me on the beginning of my life journey. “The Alchemist” by Paulo Coelho has inspired me and given me the gift of a new perspective on life. It is a philosophical work about faith, omens, love, and most importantly, following your dreams and listening to your heart. The book taught me that in regard to finding your purpose in life, the journey is more important than the destination. I have learned that if you are chasing your dreams and doing what makes you happy, things will fall into place. It has taught me to look beyond the surface and to search for symbolism and deeper meaning in the omens around me. Most importantly, the book has taught me about love. It showed me that love is the universal language of the world and that without it life is meaningless.

"The Alchemist" is inspirational and self-empowering, and is truly unlike any other book that I have ever read. I will carry its messages with me for my entire life, along with the other magnificent things I have learned, and will continue to learn, from books. The amazing thing about having them as teachers, is that books never cease to offer their magic to anyone willing to open up and read.

No comments: